Tuesday, February 26, 2019

H is for...

happiness is the obvious choice, but why go for the obvious choice?  I do want to talk about my health, though, so I'll do:   Health & Happiness!  less obvious, and more ambiguous...

literally my 8th post on this blog, all the way back in 2009, was about my weight!  I'm not going to search through 10 years worth of posts, though...wait.  I can just search them by labels, if I labelled them in such a way as to be able to find them...

under the label 'diet':  there are only post from 2018, when I did the Whole30 challenge this past summer.

under the label 'food journal':  the same

and under 'healthy lifestyle':  starting in May, just before I started the Whole30.

I know, I'm not being very body positive, but it's My journey, and I get to talk about it how I like!

I'm sure I've talked about my health & happiness on this blog before, I'm just not searching in a way that's yielding results.  in any case, I weighed in at 245.2 yesterday!  the teen and I discussed what wrestling weight class that would put me in, and if we thought I could beat the guy who wrestles at that weight class in their school.  I've been drinking lemon water in the mornings, taking 10 minutes to be grateful, and doing as many sun salutations as I can - which has literally - pathetically - been one, but I think I'm going to try and push it to two soon.  I'm behind schedule because the full moon and other facts are simultaneously lighting a fire under me/holding me back, and I wanted to get to the page.  I also hadn't checked my blood in ages, so I did that, too, and it was 130 yesterday, and this morning was at 195!  so even though I don't Feel sick, or in any way affected by diabetes, it would behoove me to go back to paying more attention.  this journey on/to/through/about 50 is more than just a birthday, or 'lose 50 before 50' (which I obviously failed miserably), it's about Here I Am.  This Is Where I Find Myself - and not in the *waves hands around* like some animated hippie talking about 'finding himself, man...' way - like my physical location, in a human body, on this timeline.  I've lived by the seat of my pants; the skin of my teeth; flying by night; where the day took me; by my wit, will, and wiles.  time to...do what?  fix it?  I don't know...

I feel really positive right now - it's probably the vitamin D from the sun.  but I have been, once again, taking steps to merge the immensity of my knowledge with the smallness of my mind, and remember to take care of the simple things that can be ever so beneficial to my aging body.  my newest thing is I've been drinking hot lemon water in the morning along with taking the time to be grateful and set my intentions, doing a few (okay, one) sun salutations, taking better care of my teeth, and eating breakfast.

on one recent 'lemon water morning', I was feeling good, so I spontaneously threw in a small shot of apple cider vinegar, and a dropper-full of iodine (supports healthy thyroid function), which I assumed wouldn't taste all that grand, so I added a teaspoon of honey as well.  but Wow, it sure was a kick in the tonic!


so here's the recipe for my newly invented 'morning tonic' gleaned by searching 'best morning tonics', cross-referencing 10 different recipes, and making up one for my own.  they all included lemon and ginger, most had turmeric, some called for honey, less for syrup, some for cayenne or black pepper.  one included apple cider vinegar, one a pinch of cinnamon.  while using coconut water does sound appealing, the addition of parsley does not:

  • coconut water (optional)
  • juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
  • 1 tsp. fresh grated turmeric
  • spoonful of honey (or maple syrup)
  • pinch of cayenne or black pepper
  • 1Tbs. apple cider vinegar
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • dropper of iodine (optional)

put all the ingredients in a mug, and pour almost-boiling water over it to halfway full, then add room temperature filtered water to fill the cup.  it makes a great juice with the addition of a beet, a cucumber, and a pear:  https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/the-brain-boosting-tonic-this-neurologist-drinks-every-morning

I just got my teeth cleaned, too, which is great because I'm starting to take my periodontal health more seriously, now that it's so irreversibly advanced.  so I spend about 20 minutes 'pulling' coconut oil (which is sloshing it around my mouth) before brushing and flossing regularly.  that's approximately 30 minutes to take care of my teeth each day.  I hope it helps!

I don't know what that Periodontitis tooth is so happy about...

cooking Friday dinner kicked my back out this week, so I skipped everything on Saturday (it was the teen's birthday, and we had plans that weren't going to wait for me to do my full 2 hour routine) but got right back to it the next day.  I did 2 sun salutations, even though my back is still all messed up...whatever.  I weigh a lot.  it makes me unhappy, and I believe it makes me hurt.  like my hips, after a whole day of cooking.  and then I have to be easy until I feel better so I can do it again.  I've got to get this weight off.  the yoga - I run out of breath.  I pushed myself to do the two sun salutations today because I felt it was time.  two weeks of doing one, and then my back and hips were hurting, but I pushed it, because I really didn't want to do it at all, but I didn't want to push it, but I also did want to push it, so I just did it, and that's the important part.  I've been at it for three weeks, now, and I can remember a time in the recent past when I did three, so it's time to step it up.  I proved I could drop 30 pounds in a month by simply changing my diet - if I can get my big butt moving, and on a regular basis, I can do so much more.

we did celebrate the teen's birthday - nothing elaborate, just a friend, some favorite snacks, and video games.  a moment in time.  this is happiness, to me - joy in simple pleasures.


click here for the ABC Wednesday website, click here to visit participating blogs!

10 comments:

  1. There's a song called Happiness Runs by Donovan that is running through my head - happiness runs in a circular motion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow - oddly enough, I wasn't familiar with that song of his. thanks! https://youtu.be/-cGWTAe3M6U

      Delete
  2. Hapiness i think is a state of mind

    Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been very fat.... I have been very skinny… all due to my healthproblems… at this moment in time, my weight is perfect but I don't feel it that way... so long story short... I think it is all about loving yourself the way you are. You are perfect and unique, there is not a second one of you.

    Have a splendid, ♥-warming ABC-Wednes-day / -week at https://abcwednesday.com
    ♫ M e l d y ♪ (ABC-W-team)
    http://melodyk.nl/24-H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is very true, Melody - and somehow, I do manage to, so I guess I'm doing ok!

      Delete
  4. You having been a nurse, health is not surprise to be on your mind for H:)
    have been quite fortunate, never even had to think about my health until in my mid fifties.
    A few questions - I hate the taste of ginger, is there any substitute for that? I only know coconut milk for consumption - not oil (or is that the oil one uses for cooking?) How can you manage to keep it in your mouth without ingesting anything - if you slosh it around in your mouth for half an hour?
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what gives you the impression I've been a nurse, because I haven't...but yes, I've been Extremely grateful for my good health throughout my life, too. now that I just turned 50, I'm paying more attention, and trying not to lament not having been more diligent when I was younger! if you don't like ginger, don't use it! yes, I do mean coconut oil like for cooking - and it's a challenge to do it for 20 minutes, but usually I read an article, or play 2 video games, or check my email...

      Delete
  5. Lovely words for H ~Health and Happiness ~

    Regarding your personal health and happiness ~ both are a 'state of mind' as I am sure you know ~ that said ~ Both come from within one's self. ~ We all need to decide what is good health and happiness for one's self ~ not easy and sense you struggling ~ perhaps, it is time to accept you for you and be gentle with your self while taking care of your self ~ and recommend the Serenity Prayer ~ for a mantra and way of living.

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's true to a point - but unless I choose to be proactive about it in a real way, my teeth will literally fall out of my head, causing even further issues, so...prayers are nice, but I'll continue pulling oil, brushing, flossing, and eating as well as I can!

      Delete

I do so love to hear from you - please let me know that you came to visit (sorry about the word verification, but I've been getting too much spam)!