Sunday, July 31, 2011

Summer Stock - garden

welcome to my 2011 garden! (it looks quite a bit like my 2009 garden!)




this year I'm trying peas...
(this is where it might be nice to have some control over the focus - the phone couldn't quite capture the beautiful little tendril spiraling around the twine)


painted daisies
(these just get taller, lankier and fewer...)


carrot (yes, singular)


peppers



carrot and peppers
(the carrot seems to have evaporated after the last rain, and I found two fat, happy caterpillars amongst the remains of the peppers)


'seed bombs' - the boy brought these home from school.  it's basically a dried mud ball rolled up with wildflower seeds inside it.  seems like a great idea, we'll see what happens!


the peas look fantastic!  I'm not quite sure what's going on with the daisies, I had a bunch of sprouts, but they seem to have mostly fallen over, though they're still growing, so we'll see...  the seed bombs look to be stuck in perpetual seedling state, having never grown passed their first or second leaf sets.  the carrot the boy brought home from school in a milk container, just as we were moving, and the poor thing sprouted, so I gave it its own pot - I don't have the heart to give up on it, yet!  the peppers sprouted later than everything else, but they seem to be growing nicely - keeping in mind it's already the end of July, and I'm not sure when pepper season is...  but that's how I garden - throw in some seeds when I feel like it, and see what comes up!

*update - obviously, I need to keep a closer eye out for caterpillars...found bunches of them on the peas as well as the peppers.  the carrot is done for, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for any of the pepper plants (a shame, they were doing so well!).  the seed bomb seedlings are hanging in there, and the peas are starting to climb!



9 comments:

  1. Brave of you to undertake these plantations, especially the peas. Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love growing peas! They tend to like cooler weather. I have to start growing them inside a fence - the deer ate mine this year. Sigh.

    Good luck with your plants - I find container garden difficult. It needs more care than growing in a pile of mixed up soil and compost in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peas are fun to grow! Great photos...I really love the light and shadows of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seed bombs -- what a fun idea!

    Yes, I agree with ilanadavita -- you are brave! I am so forgetful I think they'd die in no time at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is impressive. You have a lot to take care of with these plants. I`ll never show you my garden.. hehe
    Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of wildflower seed bombs, very fun :).

    Enjoy the veggies too.

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thing about caterpillars is that they turn into butterflies or moths, later - so how can we begrudge them some munchies? Of course, if they could show a wee bit of restraint...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks delicious. or at least potentially delicious. There's nothing like fresh veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here it is!

    Open your blog and click on the Customize link. It’s in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
    Click on the Dashboard link, also in the upper right hand corner.
    Now click on Edit Profile, on the left hand size of the screen right next to your picture.
    This takes you to the Edit User Profile screen.
    Look in the Privacy section.
    Check the box that says, “Show my e-mail address”.
    In the Identity section, enter in an e-mail address.
    Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click on Save Profile.

    ReplyDelete

I do so love to hear from you - please let me know that you came to visit (sorry about the word verification, but I've been getting too much spam)!