Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The Ghost of Poems Past


Snake Awakening


after (how many?) caresses

when our lips (finally) brushed

playing on the edge

of tension,

I tasted tobacco, beer, and stubble

went back for more

for his fingertips, and my longing

like an old lover, like how my fingertips

remembered the curve of his back

like the taste of my fear, shaking

low, like a snake awakening

an earthquake

opening

with his breath in my ear

lips on the back of my neck

a bite on my shoulder

his hand in my hair, pulling

a sigh from my throat

hands sliding

through moans

    

Dionysus

I called him, have called him

it was Solstice, he emerged

fully grown from his cave

to receive the goddess

and interrupt my dreams

in my bed

with offerings and ablutions

knocking me clean

into the next ecstasy, days

of weak knees, staring eyes, whimpering sighs

weeks to forget the way my womb

vibrated

to his touch

tobacco and beer

and stubble

on my tongue

my pleasure on his



these gods of summer,

these shadow plays!

ripen to bittersweet

while dancing thankful

across my skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do so love to hear from you - please let me know that you came to visit (sorry about the word verification, but I've been getting too much spam)!